1.24.2011

Prioritizing...

I think I need to take a few minutes to list some of my art related goals this year. Last week, I had a conversation with my good friend Mike Moss who spent some time trying to put things into perspective for me. As always, after thinking about it for a bit, I realize that he's right. So, what I want to do is list the things I'm going to be working on/towards in the coming year to have as a reminder when I lose focus. So here we go:

  1. I will learn to be patient with my art. I get frustrated too easily.
  2. I will learn to be more deliberate with my art. I tend to spend 50% of my art time doing whimsical things rather than staying focused on the project at hand.
  3. I won't put aside my personal goals and projects for for quick and easy commission work. I completely neglected my own goals for about 5 months while I peddled my skills for cheap. Work is good, but it can't come at the price of progress. I lost sight of my own goals and progress for a little recognition and a few bucks. From now on, I'll limit the commission work to a manageable amount so that I can do both... Unless there's a shit-load of  money involved...
  4. I will give as much attention to backgrounds and composition as I do my character art. It's obvious I don't spend enough time on that stuff. I can do it well, I just have to actually do it.
  5. I will attend and perhaps participate in more conventions. The only art communities I'm a part of are online communities. I'm hella busy and it's difficult (VERY) for me to socialize and meet people, but it's something I need to do, not only to learn about the industry but also to be in an environment I can feed on.
  6. Lastly... I will launch my web comic this summer. 
I guess it's not-so-exciting a list to the observer, but these are all tremendously huge steps that I really need to take. I'd really like to thank Mike and also Will Corpening for being so supportive of my endeavors. So, thanks guys =)

Matt

1 comment:

Will Corpening said...
This comment has been removed by the author.