1.03.2011

2011

Happy New Year to everyone. Not that I've fooled myself into thinking people actually visit this blog but I'd still like to put the good vibe out there. I hope everyone's holidays were good. Mine were as good as they could possibly be. I worked almost every day for the month of December (That's not true, but it kinda is... hard to explain so I'll just move on...). I did upgrade my phone for Christmas, which had been bugging me for 6 months and I did get the most wonderful gift in the form of Photoshop CS5. I couldn't ask for more. Well, I could, but I didn't. Anyway...


Update time. First, I cleaned out a lot of the old posts in this blog. I essentially wiped everything out from before I got my tablet last year. All of the old art is still in the gallery links, if people want to go back and look at that stuff. The direction of my art changed once I went digital. Also, I discovered that artists have trends that I figured out will continue to repeat themselves until the day the artist dies. So I found that a lot of what I talked about on the blog, I had almost certain talked about before on the blog. Recurring themes of, "I have an artist block", or, "I think I'm making progress", followed by identical details every time made want to get rid of all that blabbering. 


2010 introduced me to the world of freelance commission art. WEEEEEE!!!!! As awesome as it is for me to actually get a little money for what I do, commission work has exposed a number of my weaknesses as an artist. Mainly, my inability to draw backgrounds. Not that I can't, but I don't do it well.  So, I'll be dedicating a lot of time to getting better at that this year...


...Also, I'll be drawing a lot more sexy women...


People love it. Don't be fooled. Sexy does not mean stereotype. If I have any skill as an artist or any salt as a human being, I'll deliver "SEXY" in all it's forms. I'm doing this for a couple reasons. First is that it draws attention to me and my work. Shameless, I know, but it's what I'm in this business for... The attention that is. Second is that I need to get better at drawing the female form in action. I've been a pin up guy most of my life, so this is an exercise I need to do. Lastly, the women will help balance out the background crap I'll be drawing while I learn to do that... at the very least the girls will distract from that.


In terms of actual projects I have lined up for 2011, I'll post on that later. I still plan to release the Four Horsemen web strip this summer and I'm working on a couple of collaborations with some good friends. I can't put deadlines on any of that because the commission work will continue and probably take precedence (yay for making money!) for a while. In the mean time, please enjoy the work I put up here. Speaking of "put up", thanks for putting up with me =)


matt

No comments: